A carbon monoxide detector is an inexpensive way to ensure your family is safe this winter, and all year long. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a fatal gas that is emitted from home appliances, and most commonly in winter time, from the natural wood burning fireplace. Since carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, there is no warning if the gas is leaking into the home. A carbon monoxide detector is similar to that of a fire alarm in size and functionality. It sounds an alarm if CO is detected; therefore giving a warning that evacuation is necessary until the problem is resolved.