Summer is just around the corner which means it’s time to wrap up your spring cleaning. As you go through your home and cross off items on your to-do list, don’t forget to checkup on your plumbing. Spring is a great time to make sure everything is working properly.
- Lower the water heater temperature. You might have cranked up the heat during winter, but by now the temperature should be set at 120oF. Lowering the water temperature can also save you money on utility bills by reducing your energy consumption.
- Check your sump pump. Pour a few buckets of water into the basin of your sump pump. Then wait for it to start and let the water flow before shutting off automatically. If it doesn’t behave properly then contact a plumber to figure out the problem.
- Check your gutters. Clean your gutters and downspouts of any debris and make sure the downspouts are attached properly and are facing away from your home. This is an important task because if your gutter is left neglected, it can cause damage to your home. Without a properly functioning gutter, water can build up around the foundation of your home and cause flooding.
- Look for leaks. Check your entire home for any leaking pipes. Look under the sinks, in the bathrooms, and outdoor faucets to make sure nothing is broken.
- Drain your water heater. Sediments deposited at the bottom of your water heater can cause corrosion and reduce the energy efficiency of the unit. Draining the water will flush away some of the sediments. Here’s a great article on how to drain your water heater.
For help crossing off any items on your spring plumbing to-do list, call your Columbus plumbing experts, Atlas Butler. You can reach us at 1-800-FURNACE any time, any day.
For more spring plumbing tips check out this article – http://www.homeharmonizing.com/2014/05/10/15-easy-plumbing-tips-for-the-spring-season/