Signs that Your AC Unit is Going to Go
Summer is here in full force with its sweltering temperatures and high humidity, which add up to scorching heat indices. No doubt, your AC is running around the clock trying to keep your home cool and comfortable. However, if your AC isn’t working efficiently, it’s fighting a losing battle trying to meet capacity. This means that your home isn’t as cool as you’d like, and you’ll be faced with skyrocketing energy bills. The service pros at Atlas Butler have some signs to look for to determine if your air conditioner isn’t working as well as it could.
- There are hot and cold spots in the house. When some rooms are freezing and others warm, that means your AC unit and possibly ducts, need cleaning. Dirt build-up in the ductwork can hinder airflow.
- The AC isn’t removing humidity from the air. If your AC is running and you still experience that damp, clammy feeling, the likely cause is low refrigerant levels. There are other causes of this problem, so it is best to have your unit looked at by an HVAC specialist.
- The AC runs constantly. This is a sign that your AC unit isn’t the proper size for your house and a common problem if you’ve added on to the structure. Upgrading to a unit better equipped to handle the load will help and will pay for itself over time through lower energy bills.
- You are cooling your entire house. Forcing an air conditioner to keep the entire house at a constant temperature is very hard on the unit. A better solution is to have temperature zones throughout the house to only cool those rooms that are used the most.
- You’re seeing a spike in energy bills. It’s normal to see an increase in energy bills during a heat wave, but if you’re constantly paying more and more for your AC during moderate temperatures as well, it’s a good idea to have your system looked at by a professional. There could be many problems, including the age of the unit, contributing to increased energy bills.
- You need more service calls. If you are constantly calling for AC repair, it’s a signal of a bigger problem. Older units start wearing out and parts need replacing, which can create a domino effect. It might be time to just bite the bullet and buy a new air conditioner.
- Your AC unit is more than 10 years old. When your AC is 10 years old or older, it’s time to start thinking about replacing it. Regular maintenance can prolong the life of your system, but you can also reach a point where the costs of keeping cool have outpaced what you’d actually save money on a new, more energy-efficient unit.
Atlas Butler Can Help Repair or Replace Your AC Unit
If you are experiencing any of these issues with your air conditioner, contact the service pros at Atlas Butler for an Air Conditioner check-up. We have same-day appointments, and our phones are answered 24/7/365. Call us at 614-681-2167. Ask about our Comfort Club and enjoy savings and year-round comfort from your HVAC system.