Winter Home Maintenance Checklist
Check off these simple home maintenance items to get your home winter ready.
- Schedule A Heating System Tune-Up & Cleaning
- Don’t wait for winter to settle in before scheduling a heating system inspection. You don’t want to realize there’s a problem when it’s ten below freezing and your heat won’t turn on.
- Check Your Pipes
- If your pipes are old or if you live in a particularly cold area, it’s more likely that water can build up in your pipes and freeze. Remember: don’t turn the heat too low – even if you’re not home – to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Clean Your Fireplace
- Creosote is a flammable oil that can accumulate inside your chimney over time. It’s a good idea to schedule a cleaning every year to remove the buildup. Otherwise, it may catch fire when you light your fireplace.
- Check Your Insulation
- When there are problems with your insulation, cold air will get in and hot air will get out, forcing your heating system to work overtime. To avoid exposure to harmful chemicals, it’s best to hire a professional to repair insulation.
- Check Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors regularly to be sure they’re working properly; replace batteries if necessary.
- Stock Up On Basics
- Being prepared can save the day. Stock up on emergency supplies such as imperishable goods, flashlights, batteries, and matches before bad weather strikes.
- Inspect Your Roof
- Because your roof is a key source of protection for your home, it’s important to make sure it remains in good condition. Make sure there are no holes, missing shingles or unstable areas.
- Clear Snow & Ice From Walkways & Driveways
- Snow can be extremely hazardous during winter months, particularly when there are layers of ice hiding below. It’s vital to remove snow and ice from sidewalks, driveways and roads and put down salt afterward to prevent ice from forming in these high-traffic areas. If you’re unable to do this yourself, contact a snow removal service.
- Clean Your Gutters
- Keeping your gutters clear is extremely important for ensuring your roof and house foundation are protected. Make sure to clean out your gutters before winter hits, or hire a professional to do so for you.
- Prune Trees Around The House
- Because branches may break when under the stress of heavy snow or ice, prune large branches near your house to prevent possible damage.